Caring and Comfortable Children’s Dentistry
Children are often frightened of the dentist, but their first visit should be fun and enjoyable! While they are probably not scared of the dentist, they are scared of going to a place that they know nothing about. When your child comes to Smilez Pediatric Dental Group, we do our best to ensure that they are put at ease from the moment they walk through the door until their appointment is finished. We will use simple language that they can understand, so that they feel comfortable with the process and know why it is important to have us check their teeth. Our team is committed to providing your child a level of treatment and care that is unsurpassed.
Recommendations of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry
It is recommended that all children should see a dentist by the time they reach their first birthday. Their baby teeth begin to erupt anywhere from 6 to 12 months of age, so it is never too early to start preventative dental care to maintain optimal oral health. When primary teeth or “baby teeth” as they are sometimes called begin to erupt, they will continue this process until around the age of 3. Your child’s gums may be sore or tender to the touch throughout this time period. To alleviate the discomfort, you can gently rub a cool cloth over the gums, or you can rub the gum with your fingers. A teething ring is also an option. By the time your child has finished teething, they should have 20 baby teeth in total.
Facts and Recommendations on Good Oral Health for Children
- Permanent teeth begin to erupt at age 6 and continue to erupt until age 21
- By the time a child reaches adulthood they will have 32 permanent teeth
- Children should have dental checkups and cleanings every 6 months
- Fluoride treatments given semi-annually can help to strengthen a child’s teeth
- Children under 2 should not use fluoride toothpaste unless recommended by a dentist
- Parents should check their child’s teeth every 2 weeks for any signs of decay
- Children should brush their teeth at least twice daily
- Sealants are often recommended for children because they protect the deep grooves in the biting surface of the teeth.
Regular visits to a pediatric dentist can provide numerous benefits for children. Here are some of the key benefits:
- Early detection and prevention of dental problems: Pediatric dentists are trained to identify dental issues in their early stages, which allows for prompt treatment and prevention of further complications.
- Development of good oral hygiene habits: Regular visits to a pediatric dentist can help children develop good oral hygiene habits, such as brushing and flossing, which can help prevent tooth decay and gum disease.
- Education on proper nutrition: Pediatric dentists can also provide education on proper nutrition and how it can affect a child’s dental health.
- Building a positive relationship with dentistry: Children who visit a pediatric dentist regularly can become more comfortable with dental procedures and develop a positive relationship with dentistry, which can lead to better oral health outcomes in the long term.
- Monitoring of tooth development: Pediatric dentists can monitor the development of a child’s teeth and provide guidance on the best way to care for them as they grow and mature.
- Early intervention for orthodontic issues: Pediatric dentists can identify orthodontic issues early on and refer children to an orthodontist for timely intervention, which can prevent more serious dental problems later in life.
Overall, regular visits to a pediatric dentist are essential for maintaining good dental health and ensuring that children develop healthy habits that will serve them well throughout their lives.
Contact Us Today
Sugary foods can cause decay very rapidly, so it is important that your children understand just how important brushing and flossing is. Brushing is fun, and the earlier you start your child on the path to good oral hygiene, then the better off they will be. Contact us today to schedule an appointment for your child at our Gainesville office. We will ensure that your child is completely comfortable with the process, and help them carry their great little smile into adulthood.